[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Weapon Fluff - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:50 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Weapon Fluff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm 

I was just going over some rules for weapons, and somehitng clicked, so ... thought i'd share.

Spear, when mounted, grants +1 S on the charge.
Fair enough, when your bolting in on top of a mount and smash into a target with you spear held out right,
its going to make that blow stronger.

Lance , when mounted adds +2 S on the charge,
Again, makes sense, its a more well defined spear, longer, stronger, etc.

Now ... what about a morning star, ands +1 S first round of combat,
why only the first round? would it not be just as effective in the 2nd / 3rd round of combat.

And ... Flial, adds +2 S only in the first round,
I would have thought, it would be just as easy to swing a flail in the first as it is in the 2nd.

Maybe im wrong, your thoughts ?

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

Post subject: Re: Weapon Fluff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm 

I think when you're swinging it around, bashing it into someone makes it lose momentum and when people are stabbing you, you don't have time to swing it around your head a few times before bashing them again. If you're really big/strong and the opponent is smaller it would take more than one smack to lose your momentum, but then those big things have more than one attack.
Seems fine to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:23 pm 

Yeah, I see it as taking time to get the force of the swing going in preparation for one big whallop. After the first impact the press of battle would make it difficult to work it up to full force. It's not like the flail becomes a wet fish, it's impact just becomes closer to a regular sword/axe instead of a freight train.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 pm 

how about sniper rifles in 40k... useless a killing guardsmen equivilents but awsome against monsterous creatures. i dont get it.

Edit; not complaining, just confused. just as confused as the wraithlord my rattlings took out first turn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:14 am 

If you read the weapons descriptions in the rulebook, you'll find it says both those weapons are tiring to use and as such you can only use them at full strength during the first round of combat.

And for sniper rifles, they're just as effective killing guardsmen as they are wraithlords, it's a 4+ for everything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:13 am 

In the case of sniper rifles, I think it's because back in 2nd/3rd ed. sniper rifles were actually needle rifles, which were poisoned weapons that always wounded on a 4+, and they just kind of ran with it throughout the new editions, without actually specifing that they are poisoned. Of course I never understood why a guardsman and a carnifex would both be equally vulnerable against poison, so I guess it's back to square one! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 am 

I was under the impression the 4+ was representitive of the ability for a marksmen to place rounds in sensitive/vunerable areas of a target. Given, one could justify then modifying the BS of the firer, anyone can aim a weapon, it takes a special type of man/eldar/tau to follow through correctly with the shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 am 

when running at an enemy having a giant piece of metal on a chain swinging out is absolutely devastating so + 1/2 strength on first turn.

once locked in combat with an opponent you cant back up enough to get that momentum again small flicks, hefts of the morning star/flail are about the best you can do until your opponent leaves an opening where you can then pop your enemies helmet with said morning star/flail. Throwing around that giant piece of metal will tire you out very very quickly, which as someone said before is the reasoning in the rule book.

Hangar 19: Southwest Gaming Club @ Unit 5/31 Denning Road, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 pm 

Yeah, but if your the size of a chaos maruder, or even a chaos Lord ... you would think they could swing those things for days ... :)

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm 

And one would expect that Orcs, who have arms the size of Elven torso's, would have a standard strength of 4 rather than just in the first round of combat. Just makes no sense...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 am 

All that has been said has very valid points but when entering combat the only time you realy have any room to manouver is just then ... entering combat. Once everyone closes up things can get real squishy real quick so the larger weapons can essentially become quite ineffective ,...unless of course you ARE said CHAOS lord who doesn't care about whether he hits his troops or not so he uses the biggest pole arm/glaive/morning star he can find in which case everyone ducks and hopes to god he doesn't trip and fall on them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm 

Who even uses morning stars??

:P

And flails yeah, pretty obvious really. Get to build up the momentum for the first smack.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable