[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Tips on writing a backstory - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:08 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:48 pm 

Hey Lads,

I was just wondering if you guys had any basic tips for creating a backstory for my Vampire Count army.

I already have a rough idea on how i should go about it, but am curious to know if there are any "tips/tricks/hints/cheatcodes" that might be useful.

Pretty much the basic storyline so far is this:

Count (name here) Von Carstein was slelected by the Von Carstein community to establish a stronghold/presence/vantage point in (name here). He has settled in a ruined castle high in the mountains near (name here). He has brought his sole apprentice/padawan/son guy with him, and his 3 necromancer acolytes/servants. The castle sits atop a snowy peak with a long and winding road spiraling through the cliffs. His efforts have been focused toward rebuilding the ruins of the castle and creating a network of spies, messengers and a regiment of bodyguards (grave guard and black knights). He is trying to gain control of the local population via diplomacy and influance rather than force, and is keeping his Vampirisim a secret. The locals are generally ignorant that he is a vampire, but there are a few that do know (only ones that he himself, or his apprentice have told) and these are genrally evil types that become his living servants/spies/messengers.

So thats the general gist of whats going on, i still need to come up with a location and names for my characters.

Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:00 pm 

I like the sound of it the main factor will be how you write it really, the vampire moving into the ruins and rebuilding slowly with the population just thinking he's some eccentric crazy nobleman is a good solid background to have. Maybe splurg out and try something completelly different and see where you end up, I may have to finish typing up my chaos marine GT background to show you what I mean... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 pm 

I have the imagination of a duck with its head in a bucket of cement. lol! too much alcohol, tv and ... other things *wink*

I wasnt really thinking "eccentric nobleman", more like a respected member of the community, someone that you'd consider voting for mayor.

I cant wait to read THAT little chestnut! (assuming i can)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:11 pm 

Yes but if some rich nut moves into the local ruined castle with renovation plans and only comes out at night most people would think crazy rich man!

give me a little while n I'll post my background up (even though you don't need it for the GT but its fun to write)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:17 pm 

A good little trick is to get your majour characters straight. Even perhaps writing something down about them. That may give you a plausible reason why he is only seen at night.

SOmething along the lines of a scientist that studies such-and-such which is so much easier at night because of such-and-such a reason.
That he is afriad of the light in the same way people are afriad of the night...(Stupid, I know.)
Because of the building/renovations ofr said building takes all his time during the day so of course people of the village aren't goin to see him around the villiage untill the days work is done......

Best I can do at the moment.

Hexidecimally yours,
Bandiceet

Oi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:18 pm 

Ahh good point.

Like double posting much? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:20 pm 

you could say he's a masquearding as a lore of heavens wizard. This explains the night time affiliation (star gazing), any necessary spell effects (commoners don't know the difference)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:43 am 

You could also get the main characters' interactions sorted (i.e. how they met, under what circumstances, are they friends or only a marriage of convenience... is one subservient, are they equals...

So you would know your characters, how they interact, and then you need to think on the rest of your army...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:27 am 

Sounds like a solid starting point to me too. A fellow Vampire Count player, eh? Then I shall destroy you, for all the evil you have & shall cause! What, you seem confused? Maybe if you my Blood Dragon background, you'd be running now... :twisted:

Just a thought, if he was a Astrolagist, he'd make a living out of gazing at the stars. I've just checked my copy of the VC army book & since they can only take Lore of Death or Necromancy, THe whole spell effects part might take a little more explaning.

The background for my Blood Dragon, then Demonicus, is that he was one of the 4 vampires who followed Abhorash away when Lahmia was destroyed, his also changed wife & daughter's fate unknown to him. When they were ordered to go their own ways, he first went to the lands of the Orcs, felling innumeral greenskins, always looking for a better chalenge. He then moved on to the Chaos wastes, receiving Abhorash's call after defeating the extremely powerful predasesor to the latest Chaos supeme Lord.

Having proved himself worthy of Dragon's blood, he headed off back to the Chaos Wastes, his sences clouded with pride. Suddenly, his wife & daughter, with a collection of their Necromantic followers, sprung their trap. Captured, with no excape, Demonicus could only watch as they performed some unknown ritual. Suddenly, he was hit with a wave of guilt & remorce, remembering every man, woman & child he had killed. His wife informed him that she had just given him back his soul, & that they had also reminded him of his past & also who he was before he was changed. Realising what he had done, he vowed to right the wrongs he had committed.

They now travel around, undoing the evil he & all other Vampires had committed. All his lesser vampires have vowed against feeding on humans, instead running piggeries for blood & a means of hiding, along with several human assistants who help run the farms. While the male vampires follow the path of the Blood Dragon, the female learn to become Necromancers, allowing for strong teams of hunters.

As for Demonicus, having fed on Dragon's Blood, he no longer needs to feed, allowing him to stalk his next target without pause, normally using his victim's own cloud cover to hide from the sun. Also, having regained his soul, he decided to change his name back to what it was when he was human. He is now Angellus, the souled one. Slayer of Vampires.

In case you didn't guess, I got a fair amount of insparation from Buffy & Angel. I just hope it gives you some ideas. Heym maybe if I fix my Fantasy case & you go to Perth GW, we could even have a game. Of course, you'd have to know who I am... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:43 am 

ah crikey got copyright much?
at least you put the disclaimer at the end though.
Its always such a nice story to use tho, the whole souled vampire now fighting for good. Just a question wat troops do you use in the army?
Like is it still skeletons and that or is it something a bit different. It would make sense to me that he would be leading a bretonnian questing army or an empire witch hunter force. That would be super cool, though pretty hard to do in a tournament sense...

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 pm 

I'm going for a theme of "this is what he killed last week...", with several evil armies' troops making up the skeleton regiments. I have 2 regiments of 1 army, having combined them with a skeleton regiment. With the release of the new Orcs, I might make my next unit out of them. Either them or Skaven.

I'm also hoping to make a couple of Black Knight units using Bretonians as, once combined with my old metal Men-At-Arms Grave Guard, I shall be able to use the Blood Dragon Back Of The Book List, complete with the Bretonian extras. These fit in the background in that during his travels, he occationally came across humans calling themselves "Questing Bretonian Knights", most of whom challenged him, only to become either a mindless soldier or an undead Vampire.

I also use a Banshee, painted us as if she was infact bound to & controlled by her bracelet, forced to serve rather than being free to terrorize the unsuspecting. I've also converted my Black Coach, making it look like the driver is shifting from a more normal looking form, adding on a 40K Storm Shield as a spell binding, covering any excessicely Vampireish logos & replacing the skeletal horses with bretonian ones. It now is an instrament of torture, with the Nexarch Vampire in the coffin being regenerated my the coach, only to be very painfully drained by the spell sealed by the Storm Shield. None of this changes how the unit plays, it's just how it relates to my army.

Back to the origonal topic, I'm looking through my little booklet called "2001 Unusual Babies Names", which has many unusual names & their meening & origin. One name I've spotted that could be good for the Vampire is "Odalric", which is Teutonic (?) for "Rich Ruler". If that's not good, here's a few more.
Odmar-teutonic, Rich man of fame
Otwel-Teutonic, instrament of dread
Aahmes-Egyptian, child of the moon (strong possible?)
Abric-Teutonic, Beyond authority
Akira-Japanese, intelegance

I hope all this has helped. It may look like I'm stealing the thread, but really I'm just posting this info to help inspire if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:36 am 

That level of detail is pretty much what im looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write all that Rex.

All of you have given me quite an inspiration, just gotta get down to sorting out the nuts and bolts of it.

Huzza!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 pm 

Glad to help.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable