[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
The Background to the Background.... - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 pm 

Now, after a few quiet nights at work I worked on a short story to act as a background story to the background story I posted a little while back. In the other story is about the Adepta Sororita Canoness Amanda who was heading to Terra on a pilgramage and got way laid. This I hope will explain why she was granted the pilgramage in the first place.

I have divided this up into four bits and posted double posts (Sorry Mr. M and Mr. A) like this to make it a bit easier to read.

Hexadecimally yours,
Bandiceet.

Canoness Amanda stood amongst the rubble of – what appeared to be – a small house. She looked at the near by Exorcist tank to see why it had stopped its bombardment of the oncoming enemy. Tech-servitors scrambled over the smolderingly hot tank, trying to vent it enough to cool down to be able to get back into service. One of the doors opened to allow one of the crew to exit into the cooler air. When the crew woman saw her commanding officer, she saluted smartly and returned to over-see what was being done to her tank. Another team of servitors were gently swinging more grenades into position to reload the tank of munitions while they had the chance. Before long the reloading team had done all they could and trundled off heading toward one of the other Exorcist tanks Amanda could hear in the distance, but couldn’t see due to the surrounding ruins of her city.
Amanda raised the ocular back to her eyes and swept her view back over the on-coming surge of her enemy. Except for the small flash of power armour she could swear she could see, but for never long enough to confirm it, the army coming onto the city from the west were all renegade guard.
Amanda knew she was at a disadvantage here. Even though she was in charge of a very well stocked large garrison of Adepta Sororita’s, most of her own fire-power were short range weaponry. While her opponent seemed to have access to a few Lemun Ruses, while had a greater range than her Exorcists, couldn’t come in closer to the city for the risk of being targeted. It was that range of the Lemun Ruses that had reduced the first several blocks of the city to rubble. This had given Amanda the advantage of cover and somewhere to hide a lot of her troops in wait for ambushes.
The priests had been more than willing to allow the release of eighteen Penitent Engines, also the several unit’s of arco-flagelants. The Priests of the Holy Emperor have had it very easy here for a very very long time and they wished to keep it that way.
The rest of Amanda’s army had been arrayed through out the city in various places. Some will come out in front of the enemy, enticing them to come forward to engage in running battles, as another unit will come out of a building – or an alleyway – and ambush the enemy unit from behind. From there it will be a matter of leading the enemy into the central arena and asking them for their surrender or their submission the Emperors punishment.
Amanda happened to look upwards, and backwards toward the city, and saw one of her units of Seraphim settle themselves into position on a rooftop of a somewhat tall building. Amanda’s heart always swelled when she ever saw the Seraphim in action. Their graceful movements bringing horrific punishment down upon the deserving. Amanda cast her gaze about, looking for any sign the may give away the location of any her troops.
Again, Amanda turned to the on-coming army. Almost near enough to make out individual soldiers with the naked eye. They will be here within twenty minutes. The commanders of the exorcist tanks had been given their orders that when the enemy reached a pre-marked place, they would pull back to the bunker.
Amanda stayed where she was watching her enemy well after they passed the point the Exorcist tanks had left. She then turned to join the retinue of Celestians in her command tank – an Immolator fitted with Multi-melta’s on the turret – and nodded to the crew to leave.
The guard finally hit the outer ruins of the city, hampered by the ruins created by their own tanks, and the fact that the rubble was not cleaned out the way. This allowed several units of Sisters to stand by and fire at the scrabbling soldiers. Many of the guard died under the tightly controlled barking bolters of the Sororita’s as they cleared a way for those further behind them. After seeing that their job was futile the guard fell back over the ruins, only to be replaced a short time later by the rumbling of a Land Raider tank as it came forward to bull doze the road clear. Though unfortunately for the crew inside before the side sponson weapons had fully cleared, a unit of Seraphim landed on the roof of the tank, quickly opening a top hatch they threw in a few Krak grenades, and were gone before the explosion rocked the tank. Thus effectively blocking in another avenue of entrance.
The units of Sororita’s that surrounded that route dispersed to go and reinforce all the other units. Except for one unit that would stay behind to remind their foes that this was a blocked way in.

Oi!

Last edited by Bandiceet on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 pm 

This is the continuation....

Hexadecimally yours,
Bandiceet.

The way the city entrances were laid out meant there were very few that were large enough to allow anything bigger than a private auto-mobile through. Most of the entrances were only access for those on foot, only allowing a few through at a time. Only a small amount of the city was on the surface of the planet itself, the rest was dug into the mountains and catacomb downwards under the surrounding flood plains. Otherwise it was a matter of entrance via one of the three air-ports. What was on the surface were factories and warehouses for the most part, and a few private residences of those who wanted to live so close to their place of work.

Time passed haphazardly for Amanda and her Celestians. Their enemy had gained entrance into the city faster than Amanda would give them credit. Amanda, herself, sat in the turret of her Immolator taking control of the over heating Multi-Melta. The tank was heading as fast as it could along a long wide promenade, with Amanda in the turret facing toward the two monstrosities that passed off as dreadnaughts that followed. Amanda fired as best as she could as the Immolator pulled itself along the litter strung street, as a unit of Seraphim swoop in and badgered the two machines as best as they could.
Amanda looked around her as best she could, trying to place where she was, trying to see the land marks, but she was being tossed around to much in her seat. There! Finally, she saw what she was looking for! Only a short distance now, just past one more ally way… One of the dreadnaughts exploded under the pressure of two multi-melta’s firing into it. The second Immolator came rumbling around the corner of the ally way, taking out the corner of the building along with it, with only one now to worry about, the two Immolators swung their turrets to the remaining dreadnaught and opened fire. Bringing it down to its knees in short order. Amanda waved a salute to the crew of the other Immolator, not knowing if it were seen or not. She swung her own turret around so could see where they were heading. Letting her Multi-melta cool as much as possible, it was very near the point of exploding from the heat.
As they rounded a bend they saw a small unit of the treacherous guard chase down a unit of Sororita’s who would stop and turn occasionally to fire their bolters, the barking guns bought down a significant number each time. Then one at the very rear of the guard very deliberately stopped, took something out of a pouch on his hip, his hands moved in a certain sequence, then he placed it very precisely in the middle of a large clear area. Then he was gone, running to rejoin his unit. There was a high was a high pitched whine, heard even over the barking of bolters and the sonic booms of other heavier weapon in the distance. It was a whine that set teeth on edge, like running a rasp over raw frayed nerves.
Shapes started to form, merely outlined in the smoke of the battle, as solid and as real as a shadow cast by the sun. Huge shapes, larger than a man by a good two feet in height. Eventually the edges were slowly become defined, solidified. Finally the shapes were solid enough to define what they were. Obliterators! Twelve of them. Unfortunately for those who were just teleporting in, a priest came around a corner of a near by street controlling a large contingent of fifteen Arco-Flagellants. The Obliterators never really stood a chance. The Arco-Flagellants were amongst them flailing their deadly arsenal of neural-whips even before the Obliterators knew that they had full transported to their location. Ten were dead, strewn over a large area, before they registered the pain of their own death. The other two realized what was happening, but didn’t have the chance of getting themselves ready to retaliate.
The priest moved on, with two less in his command than before. Two of his charges had died with the over dosing of the combat drugs that controlled their urges.
Amanda’s tank surged forward, with the other following a fair distance behind, heading in the same direction as the units they just saw head around the corner. Small bits of the obliterators crunching under the treads of the tanks.

Oi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:52 pm 

Part three.

Hexadecimally yours,
Bandiceet.

Amanda saw four tech-servitors scramble of two Penitent Engines, to see if they could be repaired enough to join back into battle. One seemed to be having trouble with the motor and the other had some bad battle damage around where the Penitent pilot was fixed. The damage that was caused by the Engines before they became damaged was obvious, there was the ruins of a Chimera Tank scattered around the place. There was, for some un-explainable reason, a lighting pole torn out of the ground and tangled up amongst the combat weaponry of one of the Engines.
Amanda listened in on her Vox as she sat in the pilot seat of the turret, listening into where and when she needed to intervene. There was the call for the Emperors blessing. There were battle cries called as battle was joined. There was the call for help, as the battle surged in an un-expected way. The few units of Seraphim were wearing down through battle and weariness as they jumped from one melee to another reinforcing here, breaking a stalemate there. Amanda silently wept as she heard the death cries of her Sisters in Battle as they fell.
Amanda looked down at the controls of the Multi-melta, particularly the temperature gage. It was still very hot, just a little bit too hot yet to use more than once or twice. Ideally it would be best to wait for a while longer before she used it continually like she did against the dreadnaughts.
The crew of the Immolator slowed down as they came to another intersection. Amanda turned the turret down one side of the intersection seeing it was clear, then she turned to look down the other. She took a rough aim at the unit of Chaos Marines running down the street toward her tank. Her shot landed in the middle of the unit, scattering them in every direction. Only a few didn’t rise to their feet again afterward. The second Immolator pulled up and also took a shot at the marines, killing another three of the marines. Amanda knew she couldn’t fire another shot with out the real risk of over heating the weapon. She scrambled out of the turret and landed onto the road next to the tank somewhat clumsily. Calling for her Celestians to join her. They fired at the Marines as they rushed to join them in battle. Amanda caught the axe of the first marine with her own power sword, deflecting the axe, Amanda abruptly finished off the marine by sliding the tip of her powered sword into his stomach and angled upward, lethally damaging all the internal organs. Amanda still had her bolt pistol in her hand, and fired two bolts straight through the lens of the helmet of a second marine. Putting the pistol away, Amanda griped her sword in both hands and joined the fray properly.

Oi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm 

Part four and the last little bit.

Hexadecimally yours,
Bandiceet.

It was three weeks after the battle finished before Amanda dragged herself up to the steps of the building the housed her offices, amongst other things. A shout went up when her battered and bruised body was spotted. Sister Hospitalar’s were bought as quickly as possible to tend the Canoness. Almost every bone in Amanda’s arms, legs, hands and feet were broken. Several times in the case of the larger bones. One of her lungs had collapsed under the weight of the crushed rib cage. Several ruptures had opened internally. These were the injuries of a woman who had been dragged through the lowest pit of the warp several times. To the horror of some, she was alive! How could she stand such pain while still be in some semblance of consciousness? But what a miracle! What a will to survive she must have!
Slowly, and gently she was treated. Her lung was re-inflated, her arms and legs re-broken to be able to set them correctly. All the while Amanda mumbled under breath, in a semi-lucid state, unable to control herself in what she said and when, her tale was finally told. Her Palatine sat beside her bed all the while, listening to Amanda’s story with horror.
Amanda had fought alongside any of her battle sisters that needed the extra arm that could wield a sword in battle. Several times she was the deciding factor of a skirmish won. Being there with her sword, boosting moral that was dangerously low. Then Amanda was caught in a trap she could not fight her way out of. She was taken back to the warp, and introduced to all the Glamour that only the gods of the warp could conjure up. They whispered in her ear, that she could have all she could see, if only she knelt to them. Her faith in the Mighty Emperor was un-flinching. Even in the deepest pit of the warp, in the corner furthest from the Emperors light, Amanda was resolute. The Gods of the warp filled her with remorse and loss so profound she wept for the undefined things she had lost. They tortured her body, broke her repeatedly, showed her things that as a soldier of the Emperor and as a plain and simple human should never be shown, felt things she should never be part of. In the end it was a sin that proved her ultimate salvation. It was Pride. Simple pride in who she was, in the fact that she would not turn against her own God, in what she had obtained in the name of her God.
She was finally cast out of the warp in disgust. Sent home broken and bruised. But still a Champion to the Emperors Cause.
Rebecca, Amanda’s Palatine, sent out a missive to those who made such decisions. She told them of Amanda’s trials in the name of the Emperor, and asked if there was a way to allow Amanda to travel to Terra to allow re-establishing her faith in the Emperor she so diligently served. Being a realistic soul, Rebecca doubted that such a response would ever return before Amanda retained her role of Canoness. But one must have some hope, even in hopeless circumstances.
Rebecca kept the secret of the missive she had sent on behalf of her own Mistress. Even right up to the point where, ten years later, when healed in mind and soul, Amanda was sitting behind her plain desk reading communiqués and was astounded to read she had been granted the right to form a pilgrimage to Holy Terra for services to the Imperium.

Oi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:26 am 

So, this is the Prequil to the other story you wrote? Interesting...

I don't have time to read it right now, but I think I'll give it a read over later. I'll just write this up so I can find it later...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable